If you're using Argos for cost recovery purposes, users are prompted to allocate their expenses via the Argos Desktop Client (DtC). The DtC runs as a Windows Service behind the scenes until it determines that the currently-logged-in user has pending items that must be billed. At that point the DtC displays and remains mandatory until the user allocates the pending items.
Mandatory DtC behavior
When the DtC is mandatory, it:
- Is always the topmost application; it cannot be "buried" beneath other applications.
- Can be moved, but only within the center 50 percent of the screen; it cannot be moved off of the screen.
- If multiple monitors are present, the DtC appears on the primary monitor. Additional monitors are semi-obscured so that they cannot be used.
- Cannot be closed.
Choosing a billing code
The DtC allows you to choose a billing code (e.g. project, client, department -- your configuration may vary) for allocation. Billing codes can have one or more tiers, as determined by the Argos system administrator. To choose a billing code:
- Click on the tier you wish to search on. You may initiate a search at any tier. A list of possible options appears.
- Type a few numbers or letters from the billing code name or number. The list shortens to display only matching values.
- Alternately, you can scroll up and down to find the correct value.
- Click the value to select it.
- If your chosen tier has, in turn, sub-tiers, the DtC will move to the next tier and repeat the process.
Billing code history
As you allocate expenses to billing codes, the DtC maintains a list of recently-used codes. You can access this billing code history by clicking the star button. The DtC maintains the 15 most recently codes. Older codes begin to "scroll off" as newer ones replace them. To prevent a billing code from leaving the history page, click the pin icon next to it.
Changing the billing code display
By default the DtC displays billing code names in large text on top, and billing code numbers in smaller text below. You can reverse this display by clicking the "a" button. Click the "a" button again to reverse the display back to its original configuration.
If you wish to temporarily defer a mandatory DtC, you can click the Snooze button. The snooze duration (and whether snooze is even available) is set by your Argos system administrator. During the Snooze period can may ignore the DtC and you may continue to print, copy, scan, or fax without being prompted. At the end of the snooze period the DtC becomes mandatory once again, and you may not snooze again until all pending items are allocated.
Recently-Used Billing Codes
As you allocate items to billing codes, Argos keeps track of the codes you use and automatically builds a list of codes you've used recently. Click the "star" button to access this list; it appears to the right of the Argos billing area:
If you use multi-tier billing codes (e.g. client/matter or project/phase), Argos saves each tier. Argos reserves 25 "slots" in the recently-used list. Each tier occupies a slot. Once you exceed 25 slots, the oldest items in the list are pushed out. To prevent an item from being pushed out, click on it, then click the "star" icon to the right.
To use a billing code from this list, simply click on the list and the billing code will populate into the billing area. With multi-tier billing codes, you're not limited to only the bottom tier; you can click on any of the tiers. If you click on an upper tier you still must specify a lower tier using the standard billing code search and selection techniques described above.
Download the Quick Guide
This is a quick one-page guide for end users. Paid Argos customers are entitled to distribute this file freely.