Argos OnBoard for HP Large Format
Argos OnBoard provides advanced tracking for HP Large Format devices in the Designjet and PageWide XL families.
- Track by Print Categories to bill for different types of prints on a single device
- Track by Ink Coverage usage on legacy devices
- Require user authentication via PIN code for scanner panel access
- Track walkup copy, USB printing and other job types that are not submitted through a standard print queue
- “As-Printed” tracking only tracks what came out of the printer - accurate representation of cancelled prints, reprints, resized jobs
- Page-by-page tracking detects the type of print on each page of a document
Try a fully-functional 10-day trial of Argos today!
Setting up Argos OnBoard for HP Large Format
To install, you will need the following:
- A functioning Argos environment
- Access to Argos Manager
- At least one user set up with a PIN code in Argos Manager (for tracking copies on PageWide and limited Designjet devices)
- IP address of your HP controller
Configuring your device to work with Argos:
- Correct date & time configured on HP controller
- User name logging enabled
- Admin password enabled (for user authentication on scanner panel)
Configuring the HP Large Format adapter in Argos Manager:
- Open Argos Manager and select the Devices tab
- In the Advanced Tracking section, double-click HP Large Format
- On the HP Large Format tab, type the IP address or hostname of the HP into the HP Large Format Hostname or IP field. Click the Verify... button to test the connection.
- Check the boxes next to the job types you would like to track, Prints, Copies and/or Scans. If scans will be tracked, set the default width (inches) of the paper roll.
- Select the radio button next to the desired usage tracking method, Print Categories or Ink Coverage. Print Categories are recommended for most devices.
- To track usage by Ink Coverage, select Ink Coverage
- To track usage by Print Categories, select Print Categories
- Map each print category to the corresponding Argos media. Highlight the media and click Edit...
- In the Add Mapping window, select the related Argos media for the related print category. If corresponding media does not exist, select Add new media...
- In the Paper Media window, type a name for the new media and select the appropriate Pricing basis (typically with an area or linear pricing basis). Click OK to save the new media.
- In the Add Mapping window, click OK to save the media assignment.
- Repeat steps 9-11 for the remaining print category mappings.
- Check the box next to Enabled and click the License button to apply the connector license key; the button text should now read Unlicense (if no license is available, contact sales to obtain a quote). Select the local server running the Argos Integration service.
- Click the Device Information tab and enter a device name (e.g. "HP PageWide 5000"). Assign the HP to the appropriate Device Group. The Location and Asset tag fields can be defined, if desired, for reporting purposes.
- Click OK to save the connector.
Enabling User Authentication and tracking walkup activity
Some HP Large Format “MFP” devices can be locked down for user authentication. To enable authentication your device, the following is required:
- Click Configure Walkup Authentication Settings in the HP Large Format adapter.
- In the Device Authentication Settings window, select the local server running the Argos OnBoard for HP Large Format service. Enter the Admin username and password for the device. Click Register on device now to push the PIN codes to the HP controller. Click Close to save the changes.
- Reboot your HP device for these changes to take effect.
Note: HP Large Format copy activity can be tracked without authentication enabled, however jobs are recorded with an 'Unknown' username. The 'Unknown' user account can be merged with another valid Argos user to trigger the desktop client prompt for billing.